Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/27/2005 4:34:52 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/26/05 5:07:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I think Tesla knew what he was doing, and he has mentioned on several >occasions the need for a properly tuned system, indeed I find it hard to >believe that he would have been able to generate 100ft streamers by simply >throwing more power at it.

Chris,

Tesla measured his sparks in a different way than we do today.
He measured all around the sparks or followed every twist and
turn across the entire head of sparks and arrived at such figures.
In reality his sparks were never more than 33 feet long or so.

John

John, are you, well, absolutely certain on this? The reason is I have read the "120 foot" (40 meter) figure so many times. Please understand I'm just double checking with you; this is the first time I personally have seen the 33 feet number. Again, I am not arguing with you, I am just very surprised!

    This is a bit like finding out who Santa Claus really is! ... :-(

While we're at it, I might as well ask what might be a dumb question (that is nothing new for me, as you've seen). John O'Neill's book, and others, say that Tesla bounced a wave though the Earth, with the opposite node somewhere in the Indian Ocean. The wave then bounced back to Colorado Springs, was reinforced, and set the manmade lightning record (120 ft) until the power station for Colorado Springs died. One thing I remember was Tesla measuring the length of a given bolt of lightning again his five-sided shack and 200 foot pole.

    Well, here goes: Is this all terribly wrong?!?

Web reference sources give the Earth's diameter at around 7,900 miles. Presumably there would be round-trip time of 2 x (7900) miles, or 15,800 miles. If we were dealing with the speed of light, 15,800 miles would work out as:

186,262 miles per sec Which leaves us with, about, ------------------------- 11.7887 or 11.7889 complete trips 15,800 miles / roundtrip

The miles cancel and the units should end up as roundtrip/sec.

Or, call it 11.7889 cycles per second, or around 12 Hz.

This troubles me a lot since I have yet to see anyone talking about a Tesla Coil in the 12 hz range.

Since we're speaking of bouncing a wave through the center of the Earth, it would be nice if we could determine the speed of electricity through molten iron. All I know here is the speed through copper is about 1/3 of speed of light (except for coax). [[ Interestingly, I was not able to find it on the Web (something like Googling "Speed of light"+"Iron") ]] I no longer have my handy CRC book, which I wish I did!

Can someone help me out here? I certainly hope I haven't publicly embarrassed myself with my Algebra 1 skills (sigh). Certainly Tesla could be bouncing multiple waves.

I'd like to thank the group, again, for their tolerance of silly question and how much they have taught me. I really do appreciate it! This is, by far, the most interesting, and "bang for the buck" mailing list I've ever been on.

    -- thank you,

    Dave Small