Re: 4" MOT 4stack First Light

Original poster: Bob81818@xxxxxxx

Well, never mind about tuning, let alone running my coil at all. My cap bank is fried. I'll have to be on watch for some caps on ebay. Or if anyone has something around that would give me about 80nf at 14 to 16kV. I had the worst feeling those would fail first. Back to the drawing board. Thanks again everyone for your time!
Dan E.
Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

MOTs develop lots of current at modest voltage. Even a
4-pack can only muster about 8kv. To quench that kind
of power supply, I suggest a single static sucker gap
coupled to a vacuum cleaner blower like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/vacgap.htm

or this:

http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm

If you want big streamers from a MOT coil, this is the
easiest way. If in doubt, make it bigger than it needs
to be.

Cheers,

Greg