Re: Secondary Resonance LC and Harmonics.

Hi Chris,

At 01:53 PM 6/26/2005, you wrote:
Hi All,

Does the formula f0 = c/4 x 1 (c=light m/s, l=wire length.) and this statement by Tesla mean anything to anyone?

"The exact attunement of the two circuits (windings) secures great advantages, and, in fact, it is essential in the practical use of the system In order to attain the best results it is essential that the length of wire, from the ground connection to the top, should be equal to one-quarter of the wavelength of the electrical vibration of the wire." -Dr Tesla

Yes! It is "extremely" well known!! BUT, it's wrong!!!!!

The Corums will argue ;-))

http://www.ttr.com/corum/index.htm

I will too :O))))

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1999/October/msg00428.html

It could be argued we both talk about the same thing in a different way... Paul's stuff is really where is at:

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

Are we assuming the electrons in the wire are reaching a relatavistic velocity due to the high potential?

No... It is just plain old every day radio engineering stuff.... In a straight wire, electricity propagation does near the speed of light. In a coil, it is vastly less!!!
For a straight wire, the formula Tesla used, based on the speed of light, works very well given a velocity factor....

http://www.griffithobs.org/exhibits/Tesla%20Coil%20Exhibit/tcoil.html

They "correctly" give the formula:

fo = 1/(2 x Pi x sq. root LC)

"L" is easy to find...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040308060705/http://home.earthlink.net/~electronxlc/formulas.html

"C" is a SOB to find with a top terminal (Medhurst other wise, see above)... But computers can "now" do it to a fraction of a percent accuracy...

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

The giant problem with Tesla's velocity of light equation is that is a "coil", not a "straight wire"..... The top of the coil is magnetically linked to the base! A current in the base only has to go like three feet before it affects the top of the coil... Today, the velocity of light wire length calculations have long been replaced...

Although Tesla used that, he had great trouble with it... I am sure he would be more than happy to forget all about it nowadays ;-) But that is what he had at the time, for better or worse...

If you really want to dive into it:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/pn2511.pdf

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/pn1401.pdf

The coil in the diagram appears cone shaped, is this just the illustration or would there be a practical reason for this?

The thought was that a small top would have a smaller top capacitance and reach a higher voltage. Today, we load the top with a great big toroid for arcs that are 5X longer.... You need a big top toroid to give the arcs "power". High voltage and little current does not work well... Most coils that have big streamers do not have giant top voltages but they do have lots of power!!!

Over the years, we have answered these questions many times ;-)) But feel free to ask them again so we can get you all up to speed too!! I hope we don't spend so much time running vast trillion calculation matrix equations on Tesla's CS coil model that we forget that there are folks out there making their first coils that need basic help too!!! I note the list has gotten a little heavy on some off-topic stuff and "brainiac" stuff lately... We need to bring things a little more in line with the rest of the coilers too ;-))))

BTW - I see Bill's site has some new stuff and even another paper by the Corums I have not seen!!

http://www.ttr.com/what's_new.htm

"i" will have to tie myself down before reading the Corum's paper :o))

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks

Chris