Characterizing my Secondary

Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi All,

I'm probably jumping ahead a little but I'm curious.

 My coil is wound on an 8-1/2' by 42' plastic tube.
I wound and varnished an 8-1/2" by 39-7/8" coil on the tube.
I figure about 1400 turns of #22 wire.
I hung the coil horizontally 3 ft off the floor.
I lightly coupled a signal generator to the coil.
( I had the Gen. wires a few inches from the coil)
I put the 10x osc. probe near the coil to pickup the signal.
I found a self resonance at 204,620 Hz.
The Q was about 225.

I then connected a 100 pf. polystyrene cap. across the coil and
found a resonance at 54,081Hz with a Q of 232.
 Using the formula;
L = 1 / (4pi^2 f^2 c)
I get 87mh for the inductance of the coil.

Does all seem about right?

                  Mike

P.S. When I connected the 10x probe (15pf. 11meg.) across the
coil it resonated at 95,860 Hz. Q= 100