Re: Secondary Resonance LC and Harmonics.

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would personally just use half the secondary and make 2 4x21's with 1000 turns each.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:46 PM
Subject: Secondary Resonance LC and Harmonics.

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I've just wound my first secondary, and in my eagerness I ignored most guidance and just wound as many turns as possible on a piece of 3.5' x 4" tubing. It turned out to be approximately 2K turns (gulp).

I managed to get my hands on a nice stainless steel sphere, which sits nicely on top. I was just 'playing' with my scope and signal generator, when I discovered that when I set the sig gen to oscillate at 76KHz or 416KHz I don't need to connect it to the coil in order to show the signal on my scope, I only need to touch the probe and the signal magically gets on to the coil and scope! - I'm guessing that my coil and top sphere are acting as a tuned LC tank circuit, with a resonant frequency of 76KHz and a harmonic of 416KHz. Either side of these frequencies the signal drops off.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else experienced something like this? How *badly* tuned is my coil? Should I take some turns off it (not yet varnished)?

Thanks

Chris