Re: Brightness of streamers vs. ground strikes (Rogowski coil)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 22 Jun 2005, at 14:59, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel McCauley"
> <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Regarding the measurement of the ground strikes, I have already done
> extensive measurement on this.  And in reality, you don't get the
> thousands of amps peak current you might suspect.
>
> I measured around 7 Amps peak current for my particular system.
>
> Dan

Nice one Dan. I'd expect far brighter arcs @ 1kA. Comparing
brightness vs current for different welder settings offers some kind
of reality check. The ground arc current combined with topload volts
while the arc is occurring (snapshot in time) for different arc
currents would provide some idea of arc impedance under those
conditions. The measurement would have to be a snapshot in time and
not some average figure. Wouldn't it be nice if a picture emerged of
channel impedance vs arc current?

Malcolm