Re: The Freau Number

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

However, the most important feature of the Freau equation IMO is the SQRT function, indicating that the average energy density of the secondary volume can decrease as the coil gets larger.

Bingo! That explains why bigger coils are more efficient then! Trying to push big sparks out of a small coil means you are generating an excessively high energy density in and around the secondary, so it just burns up or flashes over.

>I should point out that F is already taken by a very important parameter in >coil work

Oh? Which one... Fear? Funkiness? Frequency even ;) I would vote for Fr, since the Reynolds number is Re, the Prandtl number is Pr, etc. But I guess Fr still sounds too much like Resonant frequency.

Steve Conner