Super Static Gaps

Original poster: "James Zimmerschied" <zimtesla@xxxxxxx>

I have noticed that the spark gap is the heart of a disruptive Tesla coil. Using the same small coil, I have experimented with a number of different spark gap systems to try to see what the effect on spark output would be. Changing from a poor performing gap to a good design makes a significant improvement on spark length.

Rotary gaps have been identified as a gap system which is on the high end of performance. Experimenters like John Freau have shown that synchronous rotary gaps work better than asynchronous gaps for small coils. However, they are not that easy to build and are tricky to operate. Many beginners use the series cylinder gaps that were pioneered by Richard hull and others. While these simple gaps work, they will not give the best performance. I have tried vacuum gaps (sucker gaps) which also work pretty well and are easy to build but have found another design which should be considered.

I have recently performed some tests of a static gap design built by my friend Bob Svangren which I will refer to as a "super static gap". It consists of a stack of brass plates with a hole in each plate. A large brass washer is soldered on each side of the hole on each plate. The plates are stacked in a frame and foam rubber is used as a spacer at the corners of each plate so that a series gap is formed between the washers. A bolt with a plastic knob is mounted at the end of stack so that by adjusting the knob, the gap spacing is varied. The stack of plates is mounted to a chamber which has a vacuum cleaner motor and fan. The fan pressurizes the air in the center of the stack and forces air out between the washer faces. This provides the quenching of the arcs formed between the washers.

I have compared this gap design on a coil which is a 4 x 17 in using about 1200 turns of #28 wire. A 30 ma NST is the power source. So far the super gap has outperformed static cylinder gaps (several configurations including a 9 gap unit with a vacuum fan), several types of sucker gaps, an asynchronous rotary, and a synchronous rotory gap. Not only are the streamers longer with the super static gap but there is breakout all over the toroid. In addition, I have been able to stack a 6",a 12" and a 16" toroid on the coil with spark length growing to 30". For reference, the synchronous rotary best has been 24".

What I have seen is that this type of static gap is very efficient at transferring power to the system. It is also very easy to use compared with rotary gaps. The quenching can be varied by adjusting the blower speed.

The Svangren design is easily adjustable. We have used an insulated extension to adjust the gap spacing while the coil is running to peak the system.

If anyone is interested, I can be contacted off the list for photos and sketches.
Jim Zimmerschied