Streamer models used with Terry's new program

Hi All,

Terry asked me to post this to the group as I have privately shared with him some concerns with using a "fixed" top load streamer model for optimization.

I believe the fixed streamer model is probably fine as a start to get the program off the ground and I believe the program is a great step forward in allowing each one of us ultimately to pursue a better understanding of what the "best" is. I do have reservations about reading too much into the results with respect to optimizing for maximum streamer growth at this time. The following are some of my concerns:

1. The model has a fixed streamer load present all the time. This will retard the ringing up (cause of lower Q) and possibly distort the results.

2. The breakout level for the top load is not modeled. This in combo with #1 may show good power to the streamer when in fact, breakout never happened.

3. The E field "reach" of the topload is not modeled.

4. Streamer growth is not modeled. This forces us to use some other metric in an attempt to find what makes better streamers. For example, maximum power to the streamer channel resistance RL is one possible metric. Assuming the BPS and bang T1 times are fixed, this would suggest maximizing the topload voltage. Most of us know that maximum theoretical top load voltage is obtained with a small topload (of course a small ROC topload will breakout at a lower voltage and this is not modeled). A small topload will not have as much charge reserve to support streamer growth and its reach wont be as great.

Im thinking that a better model for streamers may be needed before the program can reach its true potential for optimization of streamer growth. I have been thinking conceptually about how a model might work and offer the following maybe as a point of discussion:

The start point would be zero voltage on the topload and a bang is starting to ring up. One would integrate the RF current flowing into the topload and compute the accumulated charge and voltage on the topload using its capacitance (with no streamer loading present) and the time step used in the program. The voltage would increase (in a sinusoidal way) until the breakout voltage was reached. Any current flowing into the topload after breakout occurs would result in excess charge going into the streamer channel. If one could estimate the channel size needed to absorb the excess charge perhaps using ambient temp and pressure, one could estimate the added capacitance this presented to the topload. Now, the breakout voltage is altered by the geometry of this "first" streamer and charge from the topload would continue to flow into the streamer until an equilibrium is reached. All the while, this "first" streamer is building. Once equilibrium is reached, the "first" streamer has completed and the size and capacitance can be computed and a streamer model (probably a series R followed by a capacitance to ground) would be added to the top load. The AC voltage now reverses and this new and larger capacitance is discharged and then recharged to the opposite voltage. Again, the current into the topload is integrated and the reversed voltage on the topload is computed until the new breakout voltage is reached. Excess charge now goes into new streamer growth and so on. This process would continue until the bang was over and then an ionization time contant would come into play to model what happens if it is too long before the next bang. The RC model for the streamer might be modified to account for the ionization decay. The RC model may be a single RC lumped model or it may be a ladder network to account for successive streamers.

Dont know if this is a correct way of thinking of streamers (either partly or completely), but I dont think accurate results will be possible until a better model for streamer formation is done. The results from such a model can certainly be compared to actual measurements and maybe the model can evolve until good matches occur. Seems like you need a model to develope a model.

One persons thoughts

Gerry R.