Streamer length vs. power delivery time...

Hi,

> Longer rise times (over more rf cycles) are good for
> arc propagation and they are achieved by lowering the
> coupling.

Where did you get this idea?  Maybe we need to define what "longer"
really is, 100uS?  300uS?  1mS? 5mS?  The old SSTCs took maybe 2-3mS
to develop the full streamer and they produce sparks far shorter than
a DRSSTC that requires only 200uS to develop its longest streamer
(typically).  Spark gap coils use even less time to ring up the
secondary.  It seems that faster rise times produce better sparks from
my experiences (but i only have experiences to go by).

I wrote up a little blurb comparing my DRSSTC and Steve's. It would appear that the power delivery time is pretty critical:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/StreamerTime.pdf

I suppose we could pull the old coil data bases with a zillion coils reported in it and actually try to find the function... That would be the Freau equation's constant for streamer length vs. power delivery time... A bit of a time consuming project but if we had about 20 data points, maybe the line would be straight ;-)

Perhaps we should define a new "term" to describe "power delivery time" and define it better. Like the time it takes to deliver 90% of the bang energy...

Lets NOT use the term the Marx generator folks use :o))

Cheers,

        Terry