Re: Spark length dependence on air pressure.

Original poster: "Mike" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bob,
              I remember reading in the early days when they wanted to
determine this answer, there was a difference from sharp pointed electrodes
and round ball type, also the material made a small difference.
Not knowing how you were going to use or apply the answer, I opted to pass
this question to a friend of mine who specializes in atmospheric electricity
at MIT. I also needed the breakdown at 15 Km so this reply was a two fold
benefit. Here is the answer to your message I had forwarded to him.
Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike
The equation is

Eb   = 3 x 10^6 v/m    exp(-z/7)

where z is height in km
(7km is the density scale height of the atmosphere and density declines
exponentially with altitude.)

So at z=0   Eb = 3 x 10^6 v/m