Re: Towards the autonomous lifter - electrostatic voltage generators.

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

"Especially useful for our methods might be the
Wimhurst, Wehrsen,
Holtz, or Bonetti machines. I believe these devices
would be able to
deliver more current and therefore greater wattage for
our
application than a Van de Graaff generator."
    Not sure about it, but I think that ES motors have a very poor
power/weight ratio, and are probably quite inefficient.  Antonio would
know about that.  Has anyone calculated the power required to operate a
lifter of useful size?

Apparently, the required voltage is not so high, maybe less than 20 kV, but the current is high, more than 1 mA for a small device. It's not simple to build an electrostatic generator that can produce 1 mA, operating in normal air. My most powerful machines produce just 100 uA, and I can't power a lifter with just this. I tried, a significant "wind" is produced, but not enough to lift the device. Maybe if I manage to build a very light one. An electronic power supply, maybe using a Tesla-coil transformer (air core) and a suitable rectifier may be more practical than an electrostatic generator, when weight is the critical factor. A 1 mA electrostatic machine would weight many kilograms, not counting the motor to power it.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz