Re: metal spinning on DIY

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rick, that is exactly the process - make a wooden form (I presume out of a hardwood), then "spin" the metal using a well-polished "spoon" tool and a good quality lubrication (Dave used a vegetable oil based wax on the show). I was surprised they didn't have to take the half-finished bowl off and anneal it, though it was a pretty small piece made from thin aluminum....

John Freau has some info and pictures on his site, though I don't see any videos:
http://hometown.aol.com/syncron99/tube1.html

Turning wood isn't really that hard, once you get the hang of it. I remember it took me a while, as a beginner without any real instruction, to get the hang of using the tools - I tended to have too much rake and not enough slice. But I still managed to make, as a newbie youngster, a nice set of oak salt and pepper shakers and a walnut-and-oak fruit bowl. I can't comment on the learning curve of metal spinning, though, as I haven't actually done any.

Cheers!

Mark Broker
The Geek Group