To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Colin,

You mentioned that you were interested in running up
to 2 kW of power. To me at least, that's not what I would
consider a "higher powered system". I was thinking of
power levels >5 kVA, which could make a considera-
ble difference. IIRC, Richard Hull used to state that
rotary gap quenching was essential for power levels
3 kVA. Of course that's been a few years back, too
and I'm sure the "art" of SG design has advanced quite
a bit since then along with the entire Tesla coil design.
Try it out and let us know how it works out ;^) Ted
Rosenburg really helped advance the design of trig-
gered gaps for Tesla coils back in the 2000-2001 time
frame, but I think that this was intended mostly for
NST powered systems ( ~2 kVA and under).

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:45 PM Subject: Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Original poster: "colin heath" <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
IMHO, at least with higher powered systems, its more practical to just
utilize a rotary spark gap, with a possible seriesed forced air cooled
stationary gap to further commutate the heat of the spark.

David
well the reason im using a triggered gap is it will be controlled by electronics to fire at various times and firing rates. it will also be pulsed operation.
i shall build the gap in the next week or so and will go from there with the experiments.
i can then scope the output to air with my old scope and look at the quenching with different methods
cheers
colin