Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Scot, all,

Yes, I have two 1.5" thk. x 4" dia. hockey puck sized N-48 neodymium
magnets that got stuck together and are now ONE 3" thk. x 4" dia. mag-
net!  Once they became "one" big magnet, I simply tightened a 4" hose
clamp around the seam where their surfaces meet, because I'm certainly
not going to be pulling these apart! As a matter of fact, these magnets
are DANGEROUSLY strong and can severely pinch any body parts
that happen to get caught between them (ask me how I know this) =^0
They can also chip off pieces of flying neodymium/iron shrapnel if two
of these magnets are allowed to fly into each other unimpeded.
It's not likely that the AC electromagnetic fields are going to significantly
affect one of these types of rare earth magnets. The only thing you really
have to watch for with neodymium magnets is heat. If they get much over
200*F, they start losing magentism and neodymium magnets have one
of the lowest Curie temperatures of permanent magnets. It seems to me
that bringing the magnets close enough to the spark gap contacts to ef-
fectively quench the plasma flux of the spark gap, while maintaining ade-
quate thermal and electrical isolation from the SG contacts w/out the be-
nefit of any cooling aids would prove to be a real design challenge.
IMHO, at least with higher powered systems, its more practical to just
utilize a rotary spark gap, with a possible seriesed forced air cooled
stationary gap to further commutate the heat of the spark.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:04 PM Subject: Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

if you want to use magnets... I would look for Hard Drive magnets or the Neodynium ( spelling??) types ( I think they are the same) speaker magnets are designed to keep the flux in the center of the core ( donut hole) of the magnet... they are pretty weak alse where other than the inside of the hole area.... check Ebay for neodynium magnets... lots of sellers offering them ... I bought 2 2.5"X1.5" rounds and talk about powerful!!!! suck the car keys from your pocket at 12" I placed one on the counter top and it pulled all the steel type kitchen utensiles from the drawer 4" under the counter top at 3-5 feet, it will screw up the TV or computer monitor in a hurry... im sure with this type of flux power it should do something for flux quenching....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "colin heath" <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
im looking to build a triggered gap and was wondering about the effectiveness of the magnetic quenched gaps?
what sort of magnets do we need to achieve a good quech in say a 2KW system?
can normal speaker magnets be used or are we talking about high powered rare earth types?
cheers
colin heath