Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/4/2005 10:27:12 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "colin heath" <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
     im looking to build a triggered gap and was wondering about the
effectiveness of the magnetic quenched gaps?
what sort of magnets do we need to achieve a good quech in say a 2KW system?
can normal speaker magnets be used or are we talking about high powered
rare earth types?
cheers
colin heath

I too would be interested in this. I would suspect that with AC close by, magnets would tend to demagnetize, so I am guessing electromagnets. I'm interested in this to learn more.

Or is it just plain simpler and more reliable to use a spark gap quenched with fan(s)?

 -- thanks, Dave