Re: 6ga wire vs 1/4 tubing for 900W coil primary?

At 02:41 PM 7/29/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Coyle, Thomas M." <tcoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone see any advantages or drawbacks (functionally) to using stranded wire for a primary instead of copper tubing? I was going to use 1/4" tube, but have a boatload of 6awg stranded wire sitting here, which will be an awful lot easier to work with, and I figure that I can strip an inch or so of insulation on the outer turns for the taps, leaving the rest insulated.

If you have the stuff which is fairly stiff (i.e. it's not real fine strands), you might consider stripping it all. Much easier for tuning because you can just slide a clip along. AWG 6 is pretty stiff and will hold it's shape. You can strip 100' in 10 minutes easily: a jig with a razor blade and a guide works a treat for this, you just peel a thin strip off the insulation on one side (leaving a sort of C shape), then you peel the remaining insulation away.

I also have bigger wire, if that's necessary.

Many thanks,

Tom