Re: Large Tesla Coil Construction Details - Comments Requested

At 11:38 AM 7/29/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

I tried the "wringer roller" approach and found it to be tedious, almost impossible to control the curling and mildly costly..

I made my own wringer first and had poor results, the rollers NEED to be exactly parallel tangentally in both X and Y positions. The next effort was done at work in the metal shop ( they have a real roller there) and you need to have the tube as straight as possible and as close to perpendicular to the rollers to avoid the "curl" effect.

All I have now is 2 rolls of wavy flattened Cu tubing rolled up in the corner of the shop....

Scot D

Given that a big part of the tubing cost is the cost of copper, you'd probably be better off buying the same amount of copper as strip of 1"x1/8" or 1"x1/16" copper, and then rounding the edges with a suitable tool. A router with a "really, really" sharp blade, and using a suitable lubricant (I understand that condensed milk works well on copper.. an emulsion of oil and water, essentially)

You might need to buy a number of lengths of the copper bar, and bend them to the right radius (for which a standard 3 roll bender would work just fine) and braze/solder them end to end.

CBC (which is part of Parawire, a maker of colored craft wire, which, as several on the list have pointed out is NOT magnet wire) sells copper strip in thicknesses from 0.008" to 0.125", any width. http://www.parawire.com/copper.html

Phelps Dodge (who mine and refine the stuff) say they make copper strip in widths from 1-3.5" in thicknesses from 0.030" to 0.312". Even more interesting is that they make "flat copper wire" in widths from 1/8" to 1", in the same range of thicknesses, and here's the best part, with "rolled edge". Probably comes in a 50 lb reel minimum, though. You'll need to find a distributor.

You might also look at their listings for "trolley wire", which has a grooved or oval cross section. (and might be something to call around about. I'll bet electric trolley/train systems periodically replace their wiring, and have spool ends, etc.)
http://www.pdhpc.com/SpecialtyCopperProducts/SpecialtyAlloyWires_Shapes/CopperStrip.htm

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would like to see someone succeed in flattening copper tubing into a flat
ribbon.  I am thinking a couple of powered steel rollers, "wringer style",
would work, with some decent guides into and out of the rollers to ensure
you don't produce a wavey mess.  Flattened tubing would be ideal because the
edges would be rounded and less prone to produce corona than brass ribbon,
and the copper would conduct much better, of course.  Anyone up to the
challenge?
--Steve Y.