Re: Large Tesla Coil Construction Details - Comments Requested

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

No but it may penetrate the varnish by melting or cracking. When HV is in contact with wood there is corona which gradually carbonises a very small point next to the most intense corona. This becomes conductive and the process spreads like a cancer. It may only take a weak spot or bit of moisture to start. I have this problem on my display lifter that has been running for months.
To see a demonstration of wood burning from HV look at this:
http://tesladownunder.com/misc1.htm#Wood%20burn%20fractals

Peter (Tesla Downunder)

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Peter,
So you think the heat could possibly reach the wood's flash point?
Thanks for the input,
Cameron