Re: Lightning Storm - Flying Kites and the Incredibly Stupid

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

The storm that came thru WI on Saturday had warnings up about out of the blue strikes. Driving home just ahead of the storm, I saw one come down almost 10 miles out of the front of the storm. Just glad it didn't come down on me while I was still in the water diving.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley" <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sounds like an incredibly stupid experiment.  As a lightning photographer, I
have seen rogue lightning strike out of the blue perhaps 20-50 miles
upstream of a given storm.  Several times, close-by, in practically clear
conditions (just few cumulus type clouds)!