Re: DRSSTC efficiency experiment

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,
          Nice set of experiments! What I think is happening is that
for a given power input, streamer growth is reliant on two things: a
lack of highly ionized air to absorb energy and a channel of hot air
to provide a trail. That second one might be successive streamers
making use of localized rarified air? It's going to be interesting to
see how other coils match those results in future although the trend
is becoming clear and matches observations of spark gap coil
operation. Big bangs mean both higher voltages and more energy to
dump into a poorer energy absorbing medium (minimization of output
clamping).
      The two things I mentioned above look like conflicting
requirements to a degree. If the medium really has that much to do
with Tesla Coil behaviour as far as sparking goes it would be
interesting to see what happens in other gases.

Regards,
Malcolm