Re: spacing in static sparkgap

At 11:28 AM 7/24/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello again,
Can someone tell me the recommended (metric) spacing between the copper
rods/pipes for a static spark gap?

breakdown for a uniform gap in air is 30kV/cm...

Peak voltage on a 15kV NST is around 20kV, and the pipes aren't exactly a uniform gap(so they'll break down a bit lower in voltage). Why not start with around 1-2mm per gap (5 gaps in series, right)?

I set the gap by disconnecting the primary circuit, so just the gap is across the nst. Then, I open the gap up until it just fires with the NST input at nominal max voltage.

I'm planning on using 6 rods. Power supply is a 15KV, 30mA NST.

ps. Does someone have any advise for the string theory?

Best regards,
Sebasiaan.