RE: Capacitor Help Needed

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall"
> <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Iv'e had good experience with both the bucket cap
> and foil wrapped bottles.
> The bucket is a little more reliable, and the
> bottles/tinfoil a little
> lighter and less messy to fix. Both work fine for
> low cost caps, but my MMC
> outperforms them both. However, pop a bottle and all
> you have to do is drink
> another beer...
>
> I use the foil bottles for my little TC I take to
> school, shows the
> principal better than the bucket cap or MMC.
>
> Jonathan

I agree.  From hands on experience with my own coil,
and more significantly, countless observation of the
coils of others (which were even better performers), I
have to say that the MMC is the ultimate evolution in
Tesla Coil Capacitor.  I've used bottle caps, and they
work fine...but such a pain to put together and a
potential mess to move around.  I would pay *any*
amount of money not to have to deal with them (now
days).  I've tried commercial caps, and they generally
perform just as well as, but sometimes worse than an
equivalent MMC.  Talk about expensive....Maxwells.  I
really don't know why people complain about the cost
of an MMC built for an NST based coil.  The only way I
see the cost bloat is when you make one for a pig
powered coil, or a 6-pack MOT stack or bigger.  I've
been coiling since the late 90's and I think the MMC
is probably the best development for spark gap coiling
that I have seen.

Hmmm...reasons why I think an MMC is worth the
expense:

1.) It is Lightweight
2.) It is compact and small
3.) It contains no oil
4.) It contains no Salt Water
5.) No glass
6.) Self healing properties
7.) Bleeder resistors/charge equalization
8.) Modularity for easy repair and convenient upgrade
9.) Better performance out of your TC (anecdotal?)

...I know this is somewhat redundant since I have
ranted about this in the past on the list (and I'm not
the only one), but since there are a lot of newcomers
it never hurts to provide insight to those who may not
have read all the archives.

-Brett
www.hot-streamer.com/brett