RE: Capacitor Help Needed

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

I use the GEEEK Group bucket cap set up and have had no problem with it
for my 30ma 15kv NST coil. I use plastic buckets that had kitty litter
in them , Corona beer bottles , copper wire bottle to bottle , salt
water inside and out ,a little mineral oil on top, no foil and no
problems.

Rich

Subject: RE: Capacitor Help Needed

Original poster: "Wilson Ng" <metalstorm2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>

   Hello list members.

      I have had bad experience with my capacitors. My first one that
worked okay with my tesla coil was a jellyroll cap made from plastic
baggies and metal foil tape. It works well up to about 3 kv. Beyond
that, there will be smoke and popping sounds. Adding additional baggies
for the dielectric decreased the capacitance dramatically. Later I tried
MMCs with a string of 30 200v 2uf metalized polyester
capacitors. It was just
a test to see if the setup works. After several seconds, I smelled smoke
even though the test voltage was only 3kv! I've also tried foil wrapped
bottle caps but it was messy and one bottle cracked. UGGHH!

      After sorting a while through the pupman archives, I was unable to
find anything other than glass bottle caps, MMCs, and homemade plate
caps. These caps have downsides:

       MMCs                 - expensive
       bottle caps          - messy and lossy
       plastic/plate caps  - a pain in the ass to make and not very
                                  reliable
       rolled caps           -   not reliable
       Microwave cap MMC   - possibility of explosion

My question is, is there another way to make a reliable,
cheap, and effective cap without breaking my bank?