Re: Forum

Original poster: Chip Atkinson <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>

I also vote for the status quo.  For one thing, I have a fairly good grip
on the system as it is now, though it is fairly complex and when it breaks
takes some debugging effort as it is.

Currently with the list archives on the web site updating every 5 minutes,
it's almost like a web forum in that one can follow threads or the
postings for the day.  One thing that I've seen is the dynamic forum
archives where google returns results that are not close at all.
Currently the system we have doesn't have that problem.

Also, the current setup is, I believe, somewhat lighter in weight than a
busy web site.  The machine that processes the email is a 550 MHz P3 with
128M RAM.  The web server is a more powerful machine.  Together they send
traffic out a 640K DSL line.

Mainly though, the "simplicity" of the mailing list solution makes it much
more appealing.

Chip