RE: Ring lightning

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What you are looking at is a wheel balanced on a pivot.

The wheel has sharp points on it (usually two or four) and all points
are facing the same direction.

The corona discharge that happens at a point also has a certain amount
of "wind" that goes along with the effect.

This wind pushes the wheel in the opposite direction from the points.

The wheel spins fast enough for the discharge to appear as a continuous
ring.

Best way to make this is to use a thumbtack pushed through a piece of
tape.  Use the tape to hold the thumbtack onto your high-voltage source.

Cut a bar or a cross shaped piece of metal making points at the end of
each bar.

Find out where the balance point for this is and make a small dimple
there.  If it doesn't balance perfectly, cut little bits of metal until
it does.  You can also add weight with tape.

Fit the dimple into the raised point of the thumbtack and turn on the
power.