Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Isn't this basically how a Wimshurst machine (or a Van deGraaff, for that matter) works. Charge a capacitor when the plates are close together at low voltage, then put mechanical work in and separate the plates, raising the voltage (keeping charge constant).

Yes, but in this case the capacitance is part of a resonant circuit. An AC generator could, in principle, be built in this way. I think that I have an old paper describing a similar idea for a high-voltage generator.

Flux compression generators sort of do the same thing with inductors and putting in mechanical energy after setting up a current in the inductor.

Yes. And a generator apparently can be built with a motor, set to work as a time-varying inductor, in parallel with a capacitance.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz