re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 15 Jul 2005, at 12:34, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "father dest" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts"
> <<mailto:m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  >- make the secondary tall/long enough that it will not flashover
>  with >the maximum Ep that will be thrown at it >- make the topload
>  ROC such that the coil will barely breakout with >the maximum voltage
>  it will develop with a maximum bang size
>
> Vout at given Ep is dependent from the toroid capacitance - its size,
> and its size should be chosen according to Vout - dead end :-) ---

Careful! Except in a trivial case noted below there is no dependency
between toroid "size" and breakout voltage. You can have a humungous
disk with enormous capacitance and  a low breakout voltage. You can
also have a tiny disk with corespondingly low capacitance and still
the same low breakout voltage. To a point the choice of ROC is
arbitrary. For a small toroid maximum breakout voltage degenrates the
terminal geometry to that of a sphere. For a giant toroid, the ROC
can be very much less than that of a sphere with same diameter as the
toroid's major diameter. You might view the thrid requirement I gave
as being somewhat equivalent to a simultaneous equation.

Malcolm