Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Bill,
Answers below.
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yes, I told you that the 7.8 or 8 (not 7) Hz signal was heard on (AM) > car
> radios tens of miles away as a tick sound with the impulse. Could have > been
> on the phone.

Any guess as to the duty cycle?  The shorter the duty, the more the total
energy is spread out through higher harmonics.  A 7.8Hz square wave is
what we'd want.  If the harmonics up above 100Hz don't make it around the
Earth, then most of the energy from the "tick" is going to be wasted.

No Info on the duty cycle, don't know if it was related to sometimes the thing zapping to the edge of metal door on it's way out. Electrostatic bleed off maybe?

> But you can be sure this was ground wave, these were daytime > transmissions;
> Also it was heard on empty (other than the broad band tick) frequencies, > it
> never would have been heard well on an active frequency.
> Also the signal was strong close in but weak with distance, as it should
> be. All in all, what they really had was a "controlled" static crash, in
> ham terms.

But you'd have to detect it with a 7.8Hz receiver, and not just listen to
the broadband "tick" signal.   At AM radio frequencies there would be no
resonance effect at all, no?
I agree that there would be no resonance effect on that band and the AM radio was simply detecting static bursts. AM radio was not intended receiver of noise, it simply got noticed.

> In trying to ring the cavity, this was the best that could be done in
> distance and followed all the standard distance loss laws like every > other
> radio transmitter.
>
> Fired up by a known to this list PH.D with lots of fancy, manipulated > math,
> Bob was convinced by him that, first, the x-rays would be so powerful > that
> the path from the rectified coil / x-ray rectifier would ionize easily > the
> air from the tube to the tower and even wire would not be needed, that > the
> DC pulses would arc right in the x-ray paved path. Wrong.

The 7.8Hz pulser used x-rays? Or is the xray tube a separate topic?
No, the X-ray tube was the rectifier. The pulser was an ignitron system with sync to line frequency and a divide by N setup. Rig turns it on, edison turns it off at the next cross-over.
Also, this may be of use to you; After reading your other post INRE the fair weather polarity and the TC rectified polarity, I asked Bob about how the DC was steered to the tower because you had a good point there. The DC was negative to the tower. Half wave rectified. The RF system was keyed at ~7.n Hz.
Were it me and given the conductor sizes (600MCM primary, 2 turns in parallel), #6 secondary and #4 on the extra coil, I wouild have figured well, plenty of room, need lots of current, make it a CW machine, use CU tubing and water cooled so it does not melt induction style, use a CQK-650 tube (1.77 MW CCS, VOA uses them) real rectifiers in oil.

I'd expect that an xray-ionized path would be like a very dim corona
discharge, where the air was like a high-ohms resistor.  Send out your
watt as megavolts at microamps.
You would think so, would be nice but while it made lots of X-rays, it was not blazing a path like you described. Mostly useful as rectifier. It never worked breaking down the air as he was told it would with X-rays.
These days, a UV laser is easier to do anyway.
<SNIP)

Am I wrong, or did he only prove that there are no resonances up in the AM
radio band?   He'd need a receiver that could measure VLF signals below
100Hz.
There was a ULF receiving station but I do not have this data of distance.
The AM radio heard noise spikes, why, unknown. Maybe one of the metal buildings or parts thereof had a lot of power sucking off the system and formed a electrostatic elaxation osc from it and the tower. Enough cap and you can pulse megawatts low rep rate.
10's of miles, even with pulse mode is a lot of ERP. That's why I think it had to be a secondary emision related to the DC pulses, ~37 kHz Vs ~ 550 kHz is a lot of harmonic atenuation
I've done enough AM Broadcast Monitor Points and full proofs to know better than that.
Also that general terain is not exactly AM broadcast friendly from a ground wave point of view.
Perhaps the re-radiated noise was riding the high side of the local power grid, carrier current style.
That's all I have.
> Also, there were some questions about the cavity Q, I asked Earle about
> this in some length. Cavity Q is from 5 to 3 and gets worse with > harmonics,
> is pretty much not a cavity after the 5th harmonic of 7.8 / 8 Hz.

I recall that an Earth noise spectrum plot has peaks below 100Hz and then
starts downards.

> A big
> hairy lightning strike pulse might make it 3 times around, no more than > 5.
> Mike

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci