Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: father dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hi John.

 >Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

 >The 120 bps sparks have a sort of slower floating motion to them which
 >I like also.
 >[...]
 >But yes, I think 200 to 300 bps is plenty high enough to give good
 >brightness to the streamers.

then, everything we need - power supply with a switch "100 bps/200 bps"
(at my 50 hz country) :-)

 >Some coils tend to produce a bunch of small short streamers until a
 >certain bps is reached, then the sparks  coalesce into a single
 >streamer as the bps is raised.

does this fenomenon give us considerable spark length increasing at
the same power in comparison with "usual" operating mode or not? that
is - do we need to aspire getting it in an artificial way?

 >Maybe if he had a larger bang size, this behaviour would have
 >disappeared.

everything this could be easily checked with the help of "best man`s
friend" - drsstc, do you have one? :-)

 >The components must be carefully "matched for synergy" at 120 BPS,
 >because there will no longer be the  option to use changes in
 >break-rate to find the coil's "sweet spot". Rather than adjusting
 >break-rate to match the coil, the coil will need to be matched to
 >the break-rate at 120 BPS.

what components? is it not enough just to pick up a large toroid,
in order to discharge will take place only after full energy transfer
from primary to secondary? the fact is that i`m now planning my first
coil, so any component may be changed without any problems - any
advice? :-)

---
Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get
things worked out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start
blowing transformers. (c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42