20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: father dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hello all

a short overview of previous messages - correct me if you disagree:

1. from Marco Denicolai experiments we can see, that for the breaking
given distance we need definite energy, that is sum of several bangs.
and bps shouldn`t be less than 100 - as Malcolm Watts said, coz
otherwise ionized channel has time to get cold.
but a definite energy at bps more than 100 means a definite power -
then in full compliance with John Freau equation, spark length depends
practically only from the power, and the equation
"Length ~ SQRT(bang energy)" could be thrown away, coz it`s true only
during comparison different TCs at the same bps.

2. nevertheless, there is no reason to leave bps equal to 100,
because, as John Freau said:

"The sparks are brighter and fuller though at the high break rate, so
it would seem that at high break rates, the power is going partially
into creating fuller, brighter sparks, and  partially into making them
longer"

we don`t need weak, poorly visible sparks, right? then we must
sacrifice a part of energy to deal with it.

and as Steve Conner said:

"high breakrates can make sparks that look and sound impressive. They
can also help to force long sparks  out of a short secondary coil: if
you tried to do this by energy alone the coil would die from racing
sparks/flashovers."

but i can`t totally agree about flashovers - maybe just too small toroid?

now i have a new question - what maximum bps do we need for bright
streamers and not too low efficiency at the same time? something about
200-300 bps? because as John Freau said before:

"The high break-rate sparks tended to be all about the same length
and, seemed to want to remain together like a giant blow-torch or
flame, and reminded me a little of tube coil sparks (high powered tube
coil sparks of course)."

i personally dislike such sparks :-)

---
Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get things worked
out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start blowing transformers.
(c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42