Re: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: Rob Maas <robm@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello Christoph,

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello all who contributed. ( and others of course ;-)

Today I built the transformer together for the first time
with the forementioned coils.
Pics and a pretty detailed text what happened can be found at:
http://www.luebke-lands.de/tesla19.html, scroll down.
The tests were only carried out at up to 150V input,
as the transformer is not under oil, yet.
Nevertheless results may be interesting, as it seems that this
might work, but I am literally cooking the bolts that hook the
core together and wasting tons of energy there.
However, the remaining measurements show, that it might at
least work somehow, unknown how well actually.

Nice idea to convert a three-phase transformer into a single-phase HV one.
I think the 4 steel rods act as magnetic shunt - and they work, since
the output current is strongly limited! Since they are not laminated, they
will become hot due to hysteresis losses. Just replace them by non-ferro
materials and that problem will be solved.

regards,   Rob