Re: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello all who contributed. ( and others of course ;-)

Today I built the transformer together for the first time
with the forementioned coils.
Pics and a pretty detailed text what happened can be found at:
http://www.luebke-lands.de/tesla19.html, scroll down.
The tests were only carried out at up to 150V input,
as the transformer is not under oil, yet.
Nevertheless results may be interesting, as it seems that this
might work, but I am literally cooking the bolts that hook the
core together and wasting tons of energy there.
However, the remaining measurements show, that it might at
least work somehow, unknown how well actually.

Mark:
> #14ga or so wire.  I have 60Turns on my core.  With no gap 38 mH.  With
> .040" gap 6 mH.
I feel like this could be a way, but I will try several things
and let you know which worked best.

Steve:
I have pretty much laminations around since the MOT-stack died, I will try this
at some time and report.
The idea with the adjustable shunt is nice, but will depend on how well this will
work,
we'll see...
But I did not saw of the center leg. The transformer basically consists ot 5 I parts.
2 Long
ones for the top and bottom part.and 3 shorter ones for the coils to fit on. They can
be taken
apart, once you loosen the 4 bolts that press the top and bottom part together shus
holding
that vertical parts in place. This was a 3-phase transformer, so all legs have the
same cross
section, not a double-width center leg as a usual E-I core.

Thank you all, I will let you know what happendes next

best regards

Christoph