Re: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: Rob Maas <robm@xxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I removed the center leg, use one original winding
> as 160 turns primary and
> on the opposite side there sits the HV coil I wound.

Christoph,

This seems to make good sense to me. You could put a
laminated iron shunt into the space where the centre
leg was. So you could have a HV transformer and
ballast choke in one unit. Did you keep the centre leg
when you sawed it off ;)

If you were feeling adventurous you could maybe try
making an adjustable shunt similar to what is used in
arc welders.

Steve Conner

Steve,

I measured the coupling coefficient k of one of my MOT's: k = 0.985
The width of the magnetic shunt in this MOT is 4 mm; the width of the
centre leg is 4 cm, so the ratio (shunt area)/(centre leg area) = 10%.
In this MOT this ratio produces a k = 1 - 0.015 = 0.985

Now suppose I want a k value of k = 0.95 (which is a 'typical' value
of k in a NST). The question is now: what value of the above ratio will
produce this k? Is it (0.05/0.015)*10% = 33 %, or goes it with a SQRT
(i.e. 18 %)?
Do you, or anybody of this list, know the procedure how to calculate this?

regards,   Rob