Re: Holes in the secondary

Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Terry;

What a fascinating picture. I'm assuming that it is a photograph of sorts, yes? How was this taken?

It reminds me of an x-ray.

Daniel Hess

"Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

07/13/2005 02:49 PM
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: Holes in the secondary

Hi Tim,

All my secondaries have steel screws through them for terminal
connections.  I have never arced inside a secondary.  Sometimes the raw
screw end will corona and arc a bit to the outside.  Having said that, if
the coil is really under a lot of voltage stress it "might" arc over.  I
think a nylon screw would be fine.  I have done that for a solid state coil
where the primary to secondary clearance was small and the nylon screws
worked fine.

If one looks at the field stresses:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DRSSTC-1000-01.gif

The inside of the coil is pretty tame.  But do use small say #4 or #6
screws with round heads and all just to avoid pointy edges sticking out.

Cheers,

     Terry