RE: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Christopher:

If one of your MOT secondaries is now shorted then it is obviously
ruined.  You can convert your ruined MOT to a ballast inductor.  Most
MOT's are made of E and I cores.  The E's and I's are all in the same
stack respectively(typically) and welded together along either side.  If
you saw the weld out then the I cores will separate from the E's.  Note:
make a thin saw cut down the center of the weld so the weld remains
intact to hold the separated E's and I's together(or add new weld on
either side of the the originals).  Once apart, remove the secondary
coil and use the primary as the inductor coil.  You can gap the E and I
stack with plastic shims to vary the inductance.  I can give you some
rough #'s on inductance and gap for a given core if you want.

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:00 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello everyone.

As you may have noticed during the last few days, I had some trouble
with my 6-mot-stack, which finally lead to a failure mode that makes
diagnosis very difficult, so I wanted to try something else: Wind my own
transformer:
first pictures of the winding process can be seen here:
http://www.luebke-lands.de/tesla19.html
along with some basic specs.

The transformer is intended to be run unter oil, but another problem
arises:

The core material I am winding this transformer on, is the core of my
former ballast coil, which means I no longer have one. Now, can I
incooperate some shunts or airgap to limit the current so that I don't
have to build another ballast coil? The core is basicaly rectangular,
with each of the coils on one leg left and right... Maybe someone has an
idea here. Maybe even with shunts, that can be moved by means of some
mechanism while the transformer is still under oil....

I'm thankfull for any suggestions.

best regards

Christoph