Re: Craig's SGTC (plus SSTC)

Wow!  Those are really nice coils!!

It is stunning how nice people's "first coils" are these days!! How many of us could only dream that our first coils got meter long streamers :o))

You would like DRSSTCs too!

Cheers,

        Terry

At 11:42 AM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
Hi,

I've just started to get decent streamers from my first SGTC so I thought I would post the results. The setup is:

* 4 MOT Stack Power Supply (no oil)
* Inductive Ballast (limits current draw to 10A).
* 80nF MMC (was originally beer bottles).
* Asynchronous Rotary Spark Gap
* 110mm Diameter Secondary (1000 turns 0.55mm wire).

At the moment I'm getting streamers which are over 1 meter long. I've only just started tuning the coil, so it's not performing at it's best yet, but I seem to get good results with around 2 turns on the primary. My original calculations led me to believe that best results would be between 3 and 4 turns on the primary, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Pictures of the coil and it's streamers can be found on my website (www.craigsarea.com/sgtc.html). Scroll to the bottom of the webpage for streamer pictures.

Previously I made a SSTC, which is also on my website (www.craigsarea.com/sstc.html). I really like the robustness of spark gap coils. An out of tune spark gap coil just results in poor performance, whereas an out of tune solid state coil often results in having to desolder the MOSFET's. I also think the streamer behaviour of spark gap coils is more pleasing than solid state coils.

Hope you like it,

Craig.