Re: Licence to thrill- TCs and computers

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

That was an interesting story. Particularly-

>Nor will laptops, because, says Wiseman, "anyone in the front three rows >wouldn't have a hard disk left. The field would wipe it straight away

I'm glad my laptop never knew about that ;) I have had it sitting about 2ft from the primary coil on my DRSSTC, and in fact connected to the DC bus (via some 100:1 scope probes and a PicoScope DSO module) while letting off 3 foot arcs. Not only did the hard disk survive, but the wireless network card didn't even drop the link :-o

It logged a lot of useful data although it did reboot once following a heavy ground strike. The PicoScope went crazy and gave garbage data at the first whiff of corona, until I wrapped it in tin foil and put ferrite rings on all the leads. Also, the laptop and scope module were run off batteries to avoid ground currents, which probably helped a lot.

Don't try this at home, and don't blame me if you trash a new laptop :-o Mine is >8 years old and on its way out.

Steve Conner