RE: Dan's DRSSTC II 1st light tips?

Hi,

I try to make primary caps and easily touchable things discharge in 5 seconds (5RC = 5). It is real nice when a friendly helper moving your stuff is fondling the primary cap terminals to know that there is not voltage left there ;-))

Internal buss stuff is like 2 or 3 minutes based on how long it take a statistically averaged fool to remove the cover screws and go touching everything inside...

Test technicians and those that play with circuits live, are just "on their own" to "know better"... "Hand" discharge resistors are cute, but I have seen too many flaming resistors thrown across the floor in terror when someone tries to discharge the still fully energized buss... I just used a screwdriver, but I don't think that is politically correct now ;-)) But they were very effective...

I put discharge resistors on "every" dangerous cap. No reason at all not too... Base the discharge time on how long it take to go grabbing it... I have a buss switch that either charges the caps up hard, or discharges them hard, with a 50 ohm resistor. Either you are running the coil, or you are running away ;-)) No in between...

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/Chassis.gif

Cheers,

        Terry