Excessive ballast?

Hello All,

I am in the process of building a DC powered coil. I have installed two Dr Res. Hash filters in series on either line side of a 5KVA pig(see a previous post). To be prudent, I have also added my 250a arc welder while I test the rotary at various break rates to limit the power to not exceed 10KVA for short runs and not rely on the breakers.

To test this I set up a Jacobs Ladder. The arc starts at about 250v and at full welder power (aluminum wire transformer) (output shorted) I am drawing 45-50 amps which is close enough if the voltage was up. Would you expect the applied voltage to the Pig out of my 1256D to drop to around 150V when and arc occurs? I am using #8 AWG about 70' long to the pig. What is a reasonable voltage drop in this scenario?

Thanks,
Jim Mora
Ojai, Ca.