Re: Maximum MOT`s power for long, reliable operation and life - how much is it?

Original poster: Rob Maas <robm@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Grishka,

There`re lots of articles in Internet, when people use MOTs as TC power supply.
In all cases they draw more than 1 kW from one MOT, they say, operational
time is short (some minutes)... I then decided to find out, how many watts
can give us one MOT in a continuos condition of operation.
I`ve recently made rather simple experiment - I`ve connected in series 10
incandenscent lamps (60 watt one piece), MOT was working 45 minutes, it`s
temperature became 76 degrees! But - my mains voltage was only 206 volts
instead of 220 - and let`s imagine, what could happen with this transformer at
full 220 volts?! A friend of mine (father dest) has tested such transformer
with NO LOAD - after 20 minutes of operation transformer`s core was so hot,
that couldn`t be touched by fingers for more than 5 sec! (mains voltage was
226 volts, air temperature in the room - 28 degrees).

I have a few Moulinex MOT's; came from 800 W microwave. The MOT's are labeled as class H, meaning the hottest spot can be 180 C. These transformers have been *designed* to sustain very high temp's. The power rating of these MOT's (according to the label) is 1440 VA (V_sec = 2300 V).

hope this info helps,    Rob