RE: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

> I simply place little light bulbs in the current paths...
> Mine were 100mA but you probably want 50mA types from Radio
Shack.

> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-31.jpg
>
> The light bulbs will be a rough current indicator.  John
> Corture describes this test in his books.  One can make a
> fiber optic link to a bulb and calibrate it for a nice RMS HV
> current sensor, but that is more than I wanted to fiddle
> with...  This is what I found:
>
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-32.jpg
>
> The light bulb from the toroid to the copper pipe was dimmer
> than the light bulb between the pipe and ground.  The spark
> from the toroid to the pipe was also dimmer that the spark
> between the pipe and the ground wire.
>
> Thus, it appears that the dim spark has less current than the
> bright spark.

Excellent, thanks for the great information.  I've got a bunch of
small bulbs.  I'll see if they have a rating on them.  Is there a
similar way to test for potential?  I would like to eventually
determine whether there is more power between the tube and ground
than there is between the tube and topload.

In other words, is the tube acting like a transformer or an
antenna?  We could guess on it, but I would like to know for
sure.

Also, the bright white spark is apparently radiating more photons
than the thin purple spark.  Is this extra energy radiation
accounted for in the current measurement?  It would seem to me
that the photon radiation is in addition to the current.

Dave

Dave