Re: DRSSTC Field Plots

Hi Terry,

Did you have your "trap" in series with the primary when you blew the H bridge this last time. And how did the corona ring result in the failure. I had discharge on my corona ring also and had to close the gap to maybe a 1/10 inch. Discharge disappeared then.

Gerry R

Hi,

I was having trouble with the corona ring on the top of the secondary of my DRSSTC breaking out and arcing over. So I finally got around to making a field plot:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/drsstc-a-old.gif

Obviously, the corona ring is a serious stress point!!

So I fiddled with it and I am going to remove the ring completely and lower the top terminal 2 inches. Then it looks like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/drsstc-a-new.gif

It also has a nicer HV field shape now:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/drsstc-a-10.gif

I just ran it though E-Tesla and plotted it with Mathcad6 (I see the color picture shows a Mathcad plotting bug..).

Hopefully this will fix the arc overs and I won't have to replace the IGBTs again. I blew all the silicon on the bridge last time. I blew 1/2 of it, but just kept running it as a 1/2 bridge ;-))) I took out all the protection TVSs across the gates and everything, but nothing else was damaged. I really like the optical gate drive. So far it seems to work perfectly and has never broken even if the load is all fried.

The new beefed up H-bridge also seems to be immune to blowing traces off now to ;-))

I guess the protectors are not the final answer to blowing IGBTs since they were always in place. Just have to avoid arcing the to primary...

Cheers,

Terry