Re: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi Mark,

At 11:08 PM 7/6/2005, you wrote:

How do you think the potential from the tube to ground will
compare to the potential between the topload and tube, given the
tube is exactly in between?  Would you predict that by changing
the angle of the tube with respect to the coil that the physical
appearance of the sparks will change?

I expect the tube will have more than half the potential of the topload when placed in the middle as shown by you and Terry. Adjusting the angle of the tube/rod I expect would make the sparks more even in appearance as the coupling between the TC and the conductive rod decreases.

I got about 1/2 the voltage too. But it is really a "current thing"... Hard to guess at even with help from the present programs...

I'd love to be able to test this in Etesla, just for grins, but it uses cylindrical symmetry and cannot simulate a conductive rod next to the coil as in these experiments. A 3D version of ETesla was on my TODO list about 4 years ago, but it quickly fell off the list because it required too much effort and computer horsepower for too little gain.

I can run a 500 x 500 grid in about 45 minutes on a 3 GHz machine. It is hyperthreading so it still has about twice that available if it could be done in two threads... I was at the robot meeting tonight and they said just to run two things after Main().... I did not get it 0:-|... But "real" programmers would... So that would be 45 minutes times say 250 = 8 days for 500 x 500 x 500 cube... That is a "very" detailed array in a realistic amount of time... So maybe we have to start thinking about a true "3D" version of E-Tesla... But on the other hand... Almost all coils are served by the present version...... But a streamer off the toroid would need 3-D....... Would have to redo all the physical object constraints to 3-D...

 > Didn't Michelson and Morley disprove the aether theory pretty
 > thoroughly?
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson-Morley_experiment

Actually, no.  They proved that there is an Aether drift of ten
thousand kilometers per second.  This was verified in over
100,000 repetitions of the experiment over 20 years and
culminated with Dayton Miller's work.

Niels Bohr decided that the sheer number of "null results" is indicative of disproving the theory, which, right or wrong, apparently has resulted in people apotheosizing (your word of the day :) ) his remark.

Perhaps it would be best to call "the aether" something else - dark energy, or perhaps the Higgs Field - "aether" seems to conjure too much acrimony these days.

"In 1979 the Brillet-Hall experiment put an upper limit of 30 m/s for any one direction, but reduced this to only 0.000001 m/s for a two-direction case (ie, still or partially entrained aether). A year long repeat known as Hils and Hall, published in 1990, reduced this to 2x10-13 m/s . "

It seems to be on a "box cart headed to the hot place" towards "ZERO" ;-))

I understand that there are some theories and opinions as to what
the observations mean, but as far as I understand it, nothing has
been done to prove anything, yet.

Now we know that the brighter spark carries more current and a metal pipe has the same effect as the flourescent tube, thanks to Terry.

I think that the topics of aether/frame dragging/dark energy/etc are so far off the topic of Tesla Coils that further onlist discussion should be altogether discontinued....\

Cheers,

        Terry

Cheers!

Mark Broker