Re: IGBT Types

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm, all,

In my DRSSTC I'm using the HGT1N40N60A4D from Fairchild Semi. These are the popular devices also known as "40N60s" or "miniblocks". I decided to be nice to them since I was trying to build a reliable DRSSTC.

I run a H-bridge of them powered off 300V DC and limit the current to around 200A peak. (my driver has a current limiter circuit) I just use the standard +/-15V gate voltage since I'm not trying to push crazy currents, so one pair of UCC3732x driver chips drives the whole H bridge fine. The operating frequency is around 220 kHz.

With 200A into a 10 turn primary and 0.05uF tank cap I get about 30" to 35" sparks from my 13" tall secondary. The spark length is limited by flashovers between primary and secondary. The most power I have run is about 1kW (200 bangs per second at 5 joules each)

This is pretty tame compared to what others do with these devices.

IGBTs blown so far- 0 (touch wood)

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/

I also used the Powerex CM600HA-24H bricks in my OLTC II. I'm still running the same two bricks I got from Terry in 2002, in spite of doing some shocking things with them. I ran it with an extra 8" x 48" topload and 32uF of tank capacitance which would cause peak currents of more than 4000A per brick. The manufacturer's data says you mustn't exceed 1200A peak, but I increased the gate voltage to 30v and they seemed to take it fine! But do bear in mind that an OLTC has a much shorter burst length than a DRSSTC.

At a break rate of 400Hz I was putting in over 4kW. I got arcs measured at 81" and strikes to the floor. It finally struck its own control cable and the resulting spike fried the driver circuit.

Steve Conner