RE: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi Dave,

At 10:38 PM 7/4/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

> Yes, it is easy to reproduce.  If we can agree that just a
> tube on Styrofoam will have "equal" sparks,  I will spare our
> atmosphere the mercury vapor release...

If you are talking about breaking off the tube end, that isn't
necessary.  Any piece of aluminum on the end of the Styrofoam
should have the same effect.  I haven't tried the effect with a
non-vacuum tube in between the topload and ground.  But I have
tried the effect with a tube that was not grounded.  I got the
same results whether the tube was grounded or not.

It is critical to my theory that just the broken tip without the tube will loose the effect since the added currents from the tube will then be gone. I will pick up the parts from the store in a little while.

How do you explain the difference in color of the sparks?  One is
purple, the other is bright white.  If there is just one
manifestation of charge, shouldn't you be able to get a bright
purple, or thin white spark?

In nitrogen, low level currents (cool) ionization is purple. Hot high current ionization appears white. Simply the different gas temperatures due to different currents.

> It seems obvious from the photos that the top of the tube is
> near the same potential as the top of the coil...  That is
> certainly just as expected from plain old field theory...

I can't tell if we are talking about the same thing or not.  Are
you saying that it looks like the potential from the topload to
the vacuum tube is the same from the vacuum tube to ground?  What
makes you say that?

It is interesting to me that it can be proven, at least visually
so far, that there are indeed two distinct manifestations of
charge, which matches the quantities derived from the empirical
data.

You mean that the different looking sparks show "two distinct manifestations of
charge"!! there are all kinds of sparks that look very different. Arc welder, lightning, Tesla coil sparks... A high voltage power supply with variable current shows many. Air at low pressure shows the colors (purple to white) much more easily. But, I think it is the same old boring "one" charge...

Dave