Re: Test Coil, strange spark

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I have put in a filter and tuned my circuits to within a small percentage, i've finaly got breakout and everything seems fine, no more tripping RCD. Ive also modified my RSG incase there was ever a ring down caussing a primary voltage surge causing the RSG to ack to power earth and trip my breaker. I sometimes see the ocasional arc between RSG components that are not sopposed to see an arc, they are spaced 4 cm apart and are used to supply the contacts. This is a single 'spark' happening about once every 2 mins of usage (not continuous). Given its a single spark across air I can only assume that the contacts are at a potential of 120KV??? I have an inductive fliter protecting my NST. Has anone experenced secondary node ring down causing voltage peaks on the primary circuit? What could be causing this occasional long spark?

I need to start work on a variable speed RSG. i.e. Try to get 1st node quencing with a magnetic pulse aswell as an RSG? Has anyone tried combining the two..

Here is a 10 second exposure of my 250KVA fixed frequency RSG.

http://www.hackinghardware.com/firstlight.jpeg

Thanks

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 1:22 AM Subject: Re: Test Coil, RCD not happy

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

Try placing a line filter ("hash" filter) between the
NST and the mains outlet. Maybe that will tame the
hair-trigger GFCI breaker. I have limited experience
with household GFCI in the UK, as my house in Suffolk
was constructed in 1995, so it had modern breakers in
it. They did seem rather sensitive. Even a light bulb
burning out would trip them. Sometimes they seemed to
trip for no reason at all. On the other hand, I ran my
15kv/30ma NST Tesla Coil (in the garage) with no mains
filter and it rarely tripped a breaker.

Don't worry about the 10M ground cable--I've compared
long & short ground rod cables. Didn't notice any
difference in performance.

> With these frequencies I have a 10% dis-tuned > system. Unfortunately, I can > only use one of my NSTs, as when I bring the others > in I trip my RCD. I > don't have a variac so it could be a transient that > could be avoided by > cranking the power up slowly?

Cheers,

Gregory R. Hunter

http:\\hot-streamer.com/greg