Re: Air cored Tesla coils for high voltage?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,
          I am presently in the throes of constructing a 100W 25kV
flyback supply for cap testing etc. and looked at the possibility of
using a GMHEICSLR in a resonant topology. Things that counted against
it were weight and at the 100W level, wire size (read excessive
heating). At a lower power level, the mass of that coil is simply too
great for the proposed use. Epoxy is pretty heavy. In principle I
think an air-cored coil would be highly desirable but the geometry
and potting material would require careful consideration to give it a
significant advantage over a a ferrite transformer, the tradeoff
being core mass vs copper mass. I'd be prepared to place a bet that a
well engineered air-core design would win easily.

Malcolm