Air cored Tesla coils for high voltage?

Original poster: Robert Clark <bobbygc2001@xxxxxxxxx>

 In order to have a self-contained power unit for a
lifter we need a lightweight means of creating high
voltage in the tens of kilovolts range.
 To quantify it, a lifter can be made at a thrust to
power ratio of about 1 gm lifted to 1 watt power
required.
 Here's a lithium battery to put out 30V DC:

TP4000-8S2P
  Amp Hours: 4000 mAh
  Voltage: 29.6V
  Balancer connectors
  Rating: 10-12C continuous, 20C (80A) burst
  Output: 29.6V Nominal, 4000mAh
  Dimension: 50mm x 245mm x 28mm
  Weight: 656 grams
  Retail: $349.95
http://www.thunderpower-batteries.com/html/batteries.html

 There are lightweight converters to convert the DC to
AC for a tesla coil:

DC to AC Inverter with the 555.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/555dcac.html

 However to power the lifter we need say 30,000V. A
problem with transformers is that their ferrite cores
make them too heavy for the lifter to raise.
 So my question could you make the transformers to
power a tesla coil be air cored?
 Then another question is could you make the toroid on
the tesla coil be lightweight?

Bob Clark