Re: Welder question not coil related

At 04:23 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: JBarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Good idea with the ammeter. I'll try that first.

Can you explain the power neutral and welding ground further because this is a really old welder.

I did measure the resistance from the welding ground to the plug. One hot wire on the plug has continuity to the ground clamp while the other side does not have any.

There you have it... It's probably an old device where you'd have a solidly grounded neutral and the case/welding ground is connected to the neutral. (Like a 240V electric dryer).

If it was originally intended to be a 120V device, then one wire would have been hot and the other neutral, and back in pre-"three prong plug" days, it wasn't all that uncommon to have a neutral connected chassis. Even today, you'll see this kind of thing with polarized 2 prong plugs, where the odds of shorts from line to chassis are unlikely (in lamps, typically).

Thanks
Jim